Monday, September 24, 2007

for no reason, in no particular order

"A great deal has yet to be told, some of it recent and some still to come, and I need time. But even not knowng what is to come, I do know that whenever the moment arrives I will go on telling it as I have until now, for no reason and in no particular order, without making an outline or seeking coherence; what I tell will not be guided by any author, fundamentally, though I am the person who tells it; it will not correspond to any plan or be ruled by any compass, or have any reason to make sense or add up to an argument or plot, or answer to some hidden harmony, or even be a story with its beginning and its expectation and its final silence. I don't think this is going to be a story, though I may be mistaken since I don't know its ending which may never be put into writing because it will coincide with my own, some years from now, or so I hope."

Javier Marias, Dark Back of Time p.335 (Translated by Esther Allen)